INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION OF STREPTOMYCIN
- Medium contains soybean meal (N- source), glucose (C- source) and NaCl.
- Carried out at 28C .
- pH range 7.6-8.0.
- High agitation and aeration are needed.
- Process lasts for about 10 days.
- Spores are innoculated in to the medium.
- Obtain high mycelial biomass.
- Introduced in to the innoculum tank.
- Rapid growth producing mycelial biomasss.
- Little production of Streptomycin is obtained.
(Note:Proteolytic activity of the microbe releases NH3 to the medium from the soybean meal, causing a rise in pH)
(Note:The glucose and NH3 released are consumed during this phase.The pH remains fairly constant-between 7.6 and 8.0.)
- Additional production of mycelium.
- Streptomycin accumulates in the medium.
- Process has completed.
- Finally the mycelium is separated by filtration and antibiotic recovesilver.